Protect Your Roof This Winter
We’re a roofing contractor with years of experience insulating attics in the Greater Boston area. One of the most common, and most preventable, problems we work on each winter is repairing roof damage caused by ice dams.
Ice dams are common in the Greater Boston area and in fact all through Massachusetts and other areas with similar climates. Sure, icicles can be a beautiful sight on another person’s home, showing off their crystalline sparkle at its wintery best. But on your home, they can start a ripple effect that leads to costly damage to your roof, to the structure of the house and even to its interior.
As temperatures rise and the ice melts, you are left with damage to your roof and to your home:
- Ceilings showing water stains
- Roof shingles knocked out of position
- Gutters that sag from the effects of ice
- Paint that has started to peel, both indoors and out
- Plaster with cracks, puckers and staining
Roof repair jobs resulting from ice dams are a hassle, even when you’ve hired a roofing contractor like Neponset Valley Construction to handle the work. We have made a name for ourselves by repairing damaged roofs throughout Massachusetts: the Boston area, Metrowest, and down to the South Shore. Please call us if you’ve sustained roof damage or you’re otherwise concerned about ice dams. That being said, the best course is to prevent ice dams from forming in the first place!
Insulate Your Attic
Save money by stopping the problem before it starts by keeping the exterior surface of your roof at the same temperature as the surrounding air. In effect, you can let the cold air work in your favor, according to researchers at the Building and Construction Technology Center at the University of Massachusetts.
You do this by installing a barrier separating your living space from the interior surface below the roof. This barrier is provided by fiberglass insulation or blown-in insulation in your attic. When properly installed, insulation is effective in stopping the flow of heat from the inside of the house to the roof.
It has a double benefit, improving energy efficiency. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, heating and cooling makes up 50% to 70% of the energy used in your home. Over the course of the year, you can save hundreds with proper insulation. If your home is more than ten years old, it probably does not meet current guidelines for energy efficiency. Upgrading your attic insulation can protect your roof and keep you comfortable year round.
Expert Installation by Trained NVC Professionals
In order to be thoroughly capable roofing experts, we’ve mastered the attic insulation process and we can install insulation in the tight attic corners of any attic, with all its nooks and crannies. We have the skill and experience to do it right the first time, quickly, professionally and affordably.
Our Attic Insulation for Roof Damage Prevention Services Include:
- Expert help deciding if blown-in or fiberglass insulation is the best choice to protect your roof and home
- Clear explanations about R-value and other insulation questions
- Free, no obligation quote
- Information about eligibility for tax credits and rebates
- The highest quality materials
- Replacement and upgrading of existing insulation
- Air sealing to add protection and prevent air leakage
- Protection for the surrounding area in your attic and complete cleanup when the job is done
- New insulation for room additions
All work is done by licensed and bonded professionals, with workmanship and materials fully guaranteed. NVC has over a sixteen-year track record for dependability and craftsmanship.